Weymouth’s Seafront Regeneration
Date: Wednesday 16th July 2014
Time and location: 6-8pm – registration, drinks and networking from 5:30pm at Weymouth Pavilion (Sun Deck Room), The Esplana
de, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8ED (pay and display parking is available directly adjacent to the Pavilion).
About the event:
Weymouth is a typical British seaside town wh
ose profile was raised significantly during the 2012 Olympic Games, as it hosted the sailing events at a purpose built facility. Whilst a lot of focus has been on the sailing venue and Weymouth’s role in the Olympics, ambitious regeneration proposals were also developed for Weymouth’s seafront. £6m of funding was secured from the South West Regional Development Agency in order to support the implementation of the regeneration Masterplan. However, this funding was subsequently withdrawn and Weymouth and Portland Borough Council were faced within the challenging task of realising the vision of the regeneration Masterplan on a significantly reduced budget. As a result, it was not possible to deliver the full
Masterplan, however he scheme that was implemented was highly commended in the 2013 RTPI South West Planning Awards.
The free CPD event will comprise of a presentation and walking tour of the Weymouth seafront, conducted by Weymouth and Portland Borough Council’s former Head of Regeneration and 2012 delivery and Senior Design and Conservation Officer. The event will cover:
- An overview of the regeneration proposals and the drivers for the scheme;
- The delivery strategy for the regeneration Masterplan;
- The issues and challenges that arose as a result of the funding withdrawal;
- What impact the funding withdrawal had on the seafront regeneration Masterplan proposals;
- What was the outcome of the project and what impact has it had on the town;
- What are the lessons learnt; and
- An opportunity to see the outcome of the regeneration Masterplan through the walking tour of the Weymouth seafront.
The event will also provide an excellent opportunity for networking with fellow Young Planners.
We hope to see many of you there – please feel free to circulate event details to colleagues who may be interested. To book a place, please email email@example.com , and of course, do not hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions!!